If you’re looking for local Dubrovnik travel tips, you’ve come to the right place. Inspired by my Croatian heritage, I originally came to Dubrovnik 8 years ago to study abroad. Now I have been living here full-time for the past 6 years, and my partner and I founded Mindful Travel Croatia.
Dubbed the “pearl of the Adriatic”, Dubrovnik blends terracotta vistas from the UNESCO-protected Old Town with the stunning backdrop of the Adriatic Sea. The city has a rich history of being a former republic, maintaining its independence through maritime trade for 500 years.
I would recommend staying in Dubrovnik for a minimum of 3 days, and more if you plan on taking day trips.
Top sites to see in Dubrovnik:
- Dubrovnik Old Town
- Dubrovnik City Walls
- Fort Lovrijenac
- Mount Srd + Dubrovnik war museum
- Dubrovnik beaches
Accommodation in Dubrovnik
From rental apartments to 5 star hotels, there’s no shortage of accommodation in Dubrovnik. If you’re looking for more value, I would recommend booking a rental apartment. For a more luxury experience, I would recommend booking any of the 4 and 5 star hotels around town.
The best areas to stay in Dubrovnik are Ploče and Pile (directly outside the Old Town) or in Lapad, which is about a 20 minute walk to the Old City. Alternatively, check out the areas of Župa (7 km from the Old Town) and Cavtat (16 km from the Old Town).
For the best hotels in Dubrovnik I recommend:
- Hilton Hotel (5 star, central location)
- Hotel Excelsior (5 star, most romantic)
- Rixos Hotel (5 star, spacious and great amenities)
- Hotel Porto (4 star, best boutique hotel)
- Hotel Lero (4 star, best budget hotel)
- Hotel Kompas (4 star, modern design and great location)
- Hotel Mlini (4 star, great value and location in Mlini)
Activities in Dubrovnik
Even though Dubrovnik is a small city, you could easily spend an entire week here without getting bored. The city boasts a variety of tours and experiences, plus is a great base for day trips.
Top experiences in Dubrovnik:
- Historical walking tour of the UNESCO protected Old Town
- Sunset sea kayaking tour
- Authentic peka dinner in the coastal village
- Sunset Karaka cruise
Top day trips from Dubrovnik:
All Dubrovnik Guides
Need help planning your trip to Croatia?
Get in touch with us now and let us help plan your dream trip to Croatia.